domingo, 21 de junio de 2009

Choices, choices

This is how we get places around here...
There's nothing better than a watermelon break on a sunny day
Celebrating el dia del nino (kids day) in la Solita
Singing and bible story time!
Time to learn some English














Justin, Alex, and Genesis On our way to church

So, I thought that coming to Ecuador, I was going to be a witness of God moving and mobilizing in great ways in other people, and yes, He has and is, but He has taken a good bit of time to work on me as well. Little did I know that I was in serious need of a transformation.

I arrived to Ecuador 41 days ago, very excited to come and serve in whatever was needed. So, I work at a children's home. Part of my job description include helping to care for the children at the orphanage, leading a weekly bible club for children at a local church, teaching seven English classes, etc, yet the most important part of my job is to love these children. The children at the home come from many different extreme backgrounds, but the one thing they have in common is the fact that they have been rejected from family and society. They are blessed to be in a institution like Por Amor Foundation. These children are thirsty for love and affection. That is my job: to share the LOVE that God has blessed me with to these children.

During this first month, God has been moving in many ways. I think I can call this first month my preparation month. It was very hard to me to adapt to everything. I was sick for a while, and I felt very lonely. I missed my family and friends so much and I felt very discouraged. I prayed to God for strength, yet felt weaker and weaker everyday. The more time I spent with the children, the more I grew to love them, but at the same time I felt that taking care of some many children was just not for me and that I wouldn't make it.

One day, after reflecting and praying, God reminded me of all the blessings He has given me. I have great parents who love me and care for me. I have great siblings and friends, and I have the great blessing of knowing Him. These children didn't grow up with the priviledge of having parents or people who cared for them like I did, but now they do. They have a set of parents at the foundation and they have me as an "aunt" to care for them and to show them love. At that point, I realized how selfish I had been; how selfish I still am. Praise be to God for His unlimited grace. I praise Him for choosing me to serve Him. For me, it has taken an everyday choice. I have had to wake up many days and ask myself "Today, will I focus on the Lord and serve Him with all my heart by loving these children, or do I focus on myself and get homesick?" By God's grace, I have recieved the strength to keep going and to choose to serve him. And it seems like every time I choose to relent control and surrender to God, everything gets so much better.

Now, He has opened my eyes to opportunities to share about Him to those who don't know Him. There has been people in the community who have asked me why I am here from so far away to help the foundation. I tell them the answer is simple: Jesus is the reason I am here, and I have been able to share the Gospel with people that way. God is good! All praise and glory goes to Him alone. I can only be greatful and happy that by His grace, I have been chosen to serve Him. And yes, I am so excited to serve Him here. This is something I had been waiting to do for a long time. It is just the beginning. I am looking forward to continue to witness what He will continue to do.

Please continue to pray for:

-Every child at the foundation, and for all the caregivers.
-Pray for Carolina. She owns a restaurant next door to the foundation. She is 25 years old and has a 2 year old boy. Her husband left her a couple of months ago, and she is struggling alot. She is not a believer. We have been able to spend some time and a friendship is starting. Pray that God will use me to be light in her life.
-Pray for Karina. She works at the house I live in. She comes and helps the house mom with housekeeping, etc. She is 16 years old and had to quit going to school because of financial situation at home. She works to help support her home. She is not a believer either. We have become good friends, too. We spend alot of time together and she has asked me questions about God, etc. Pray that the Lord will continue to give me opportunities to share about Him to her.
-Pray that God will continue to give me strength to serve Him. I feel that the adjustment process is over. I really like it here, and I am really happy that the Lord brought me here. It's time to go strong and serve Him wholeheartedly

Grace and peace,
Raquel





1 comentario:

  1. It's so good to see pictures of your life in Ecuador! I love you, friend!

    ResponderEliminar