jueves, 13 de agosto de 2009

Mommy for 9 days!!! AHHHH!!!



As part of my schedule as a volunteer at Por Amor Foundation, every other weekend, I join a local mission team from a church in Manta. We go to a town really close to the the Foundation called San Lorenzo on Saturdays from 930am-4pm, and Sundays we go to the countryside to a place called El Mocoral. This mission team is working on cell groups and children's bible club to share the Gospel and start a church plant in those places. God has given me some great opportunities to share the Gospel to people there. I have mainly helped with giving bible stories and helping with the crafts for the kids, but the Lord has also allowed me share with the parents about Him. It's been really awesome!

I get back from a great weekend. I arrived on Monday morning and find that the house mom of the house where I stay is not home. I ask what's going on and they give me the sad news that Nehemias, Pepe and Karen (the house parents) son is in the hospital with pneumonia. He had to be admitted into the hospital and was there for one week. The baby and mom had to stay in Manta for a few extra days because they were afraid Nehemias was allergic to something in the house. So, it was Hillary (another volunteer who was here for a month), Karina (the girl that comes and helps with housekeeping), and I who were in charge of the children. Pepe would dropped by occasionally and come home to sleep but he also spent most of his time at the hospital with the baby.

Needless to say, my role in the house changed. I was no longer only the fun tia who would get the board games out and watch movies with them. I had to set my foot down and become the disciplinarian who would make sure things are getting done. You have probably heard your parents say to you, "this hurts me more than it hurts you" before they would spank you or put ground you, and most likely you thought just like I did, "Yeah, right!." Well, let me let you in a secret. My parents and your parents are RIGHT! I did not spank anyone, though I wanted to at times, but I did have to put kids in time out and take away privileges. It was hard for me. I love to be loved so having to be a disciplinarian was no fun. They looked at me different, and honestly, I didn't like it. Kids are interesting though. They respect authority, but at the same time, they will test their limits and try to get away with whatever they can get away with. For example:

There is an understood rule at the house about food: You are to eat everything you get served. Well, that didn't happen, and not only that, but they were also asking Karina and I (who were making the meals) to make their favorite foods. The first couple of days, we let them have their way, but soon realized that somehow the roles were switching and we were doing what they wanted not the other way around. Hmm, I've got so much to learn about parenthood.

Also, homework was not getting done completely and the chores, yeah right! So, I found myself in a very hard situation. I had to sit them down and have a talk. It was not pleasant at first, but they seem to understand and began to behave better. My relationship with my 7 children changed. I earned their respect and that felt good. We started to communicate better, too. I didn't have to yell as much and they begin to do better. I was pretty proud of myself until the day before mom came home. For some reason, it seems like all of them started to rebel at the same time. The girls were arguing over who would shower last. Usually, they fight over who will get in the shower first, but that day they argument was the opposite. I don't get it! Leiton was whining because I didn't let him use a big knife to peel an orange. Alex would not talk to me, and Justin was crying. So, I did what any other mother would do, get in a corner in the hallway and cry my eyes out. Nick and Hillary (the other volunteers) came to my rescue and pat me on the shoulder as I cried. I went back and talked to the girls first and then with the boys and all of them apologized to me. That was sweet! It was hard, but I guess I'm getting so parenthood training.

On a glorious Tuesday afternoon, mom and dad returned home! I was relieved and had never felt happier to see Pepe and Karen. It was cool to see the kids excited to see their parents back and the baby come home healthy. It was a great moment.

So, during that week, I experienced what being a mom is like. A single mom for that matter. It was HARD! but rewarding at the same time. A mother of 7 children ages 2, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10. One thing is for sure: Yes, I want to be a mother in the future, but I think 3 children would be my max. Maybe 4!

Raquel

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario